Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Should the law dictate how you discipline your children?

I just saw this on BBC and I am wondering if it is necessary. If the bill is passed, I believe there could be a lot of consequences. In Nigeria o, children are different, some can be corrected by words and others by rod. A bill currently before lawmakers in Nigeria's Lagos State could make corporal punishment against children a criminal offence.


school.jpgIf the Criminal Law Bill is passed, parents and teachers could face spells in prison for causing 'grievous harm' when beating or flogging children with a cane.
Does the government have the right to decide how you treat your children or do you think this is a step too far? Could this affect discipline among school children? Would you like to see a similar law passed in your country?

3 comments:

Mary said...

No no no.. I remember in my secondary school years. One of my teachers would give a test of 10 questions, if we should fail a question, we will be caned 2 times. So imagine if I fail 3 questions, then I'd be caned 6 times? No!!!.. I studied hard so that I wouldn't have to be caned. Please law makers do not out law it.

Anonymous said...

Am strongly in support of this becos to be honest hitting a child make them worst not better. there are other better ways of decipline a child it depends on how firm you are this is the different btw us n d western world. i do hope that in d near future it wl illegal to cane a child, we need to embrace the d 21st century

Anonymous said...

I am against the comment above... As an original African woman, I am in support of parents beating their children when they do wrong. Parents love their kids and the kids are aware of it. Beating them doesnt make them worst, but they would be fully aware they have done something wrong!!!!